Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Evidence of Employment

So my job doesn't exactly lend itself to crazy and hilarious anecdotes. My roomate will come home from work at a lawfirm, filled with tales of court transcripts and evil-doing perps, and all I've got is "I wrote more sentences." The life of a freelance food writer takes place on a rather predictable eat-write-publish schedule. And while it's nice knowing that all my work will show up on newsstands, this experience does lack the highs and lows of unexpected success.

But if I can't give you stories of zany coworkers (got none) and bustling workplaces (just my couch), then at the very least I thought I could tell you what I've been eating recently.

Without further ado, some tasty things:

  • Natural angus steak served alongside blue cheese ice cream and tempura beets (Citizen Cake)
  • Foie gras atop a walnut waffle, drizzled with squash cappacino (Parcel 104)
  • Scallops drezzed with yuzu, almond oil and bee pollen (Scott Howard)
  • Lobster Pot Pie in a puddle of truffle cream sauce (Arcadia)

Suddenly, my cottage-cheese-and-maple-syrup snack looks rather paltry. (Someone out there is saying "Suddenly"???)

4 Comments:

Blogger Claire and Lara said...

Tell us more. What makes food good oh food critic, you?

August 08, 2006 2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to describe my job as "I wrote sentences." Unfortunately, no one seems to want to PAY me to write sentences.

August 08, 2006 5:54 PM  
Blogger Speedhouse said...

I think the first comment is critical: what makes food GOOD? Aside from satisfying basic hunger, what kicks it up to that plateau of being worth writing about? And it IS worth writing about.

P.S. Tink, I'm so proud of you for finally getting a mention in the blog. You deserverd it weeks ago!

August 08, 2006 8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya call dis food? No, siree, Bob. "Tain't so. Ya kin call it "tude," but food ... never!

August 09, 2006 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home